While a plumber can easily come to your home and unblock a drain without issue, sometimes you’d rather try and get the job done on your own. Many blockages are simple to clear using everyday household items, and won’t require the assistance of a drain unblocking service.
So before hopping online to look through the available drainage companies in your area, try one of these nifty tricks and test your skills when it comes to unblocking drains on your own!
Also known as sodium hydroxide, caustic soda is the primary ingredient in most store bought drain repair products. This corrosive chemical needs to be handled with extreme care, as it can leave some nasty chemical burns if it comes in contact with your skin.
Therefore, when using caustic soda it’s advised that you wear some goggles and rubber gloves. It’s also smart to have some vinegar handy, as it will neutralize the chemical should you spill (Don’t use water, as this will only make it worse).
- First, pour about three litres of cold water into a bucket.
- Next you’re going to want to slowly add three cups of caustic soda to the water.
- Carefully use a wooden spoon to stir until it begins to fizz and become hot.
- Now you’re slowly going to pour this into the blocked drain, making sure to be incredibly cautious to not spill any on yourself.
- At this point you’re going to want to give it about thirty minutes as the caustic soda works its magic.
- Finally, just flush with boiling water.
- If the drain continues to give you problems, and then you should repeat the process as many times as necessary
A Bent Wire Hanger
This technique is both simple and effective at clearing even some of the tougher blockages.
- First you’ll want to get a regular wire hanger and straighten it out to the best of your ability.
- After that, make a small hook on one end by bending it.
- Next you want to push this into the drain and start fishing around. You should easily pull up all kinds of nasty surprises, such as hair, grease and mucous.
- After you’ve removed as much as you possibly can, then simply run some hot water to try and wash down whatever’s left.
Throw in the Towel and Call a Plumber
Even though it may be cheating, some clogs are just too much to remedy without the proper tools and experience. In these circumstances it’s best that you just give in, and spend the money necessary to have a professional drain cleaning service come and remedy your problem. It may be more difficult to brag about, as well as cost a few pounds, but sometimes the skills of a drainage company are irreplaceable.
So if you need a drain unblocked, and are in the Ely, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Peterborough and surrounding areas please contact Mitchell & Mayle by phone on 01353 687 984, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.